Sunday, May 13, 2012

Quiet Panic

Happy Mother's Day to all of those moms out there!  The museum was steady, but not ridiculously busy as it was this time last year.   Made a few sales (would've been nice to make a few more), and ended up leaving a squeak early to appease my crafting mind.

One of my friends is having a birthday within the next few months. So whilst I await the rest of the fabric for my research advisor's bag, I decided to get that bag out of the way since I had the pattern and fabric all in my stash.

I pulled it from the Amy Butler bag sewing book which I received for Christmas this past year--it's the Teardrop Bag.  Since this was my first time make this particular bag pattern, I knew that I had to anticipate quite a few Butler quirks that weren't intuitive to most sewing techniques.  Sure enough, the handle was the biggest challenge.  I line my bags with canvas instead of interfacing because it's sturdier and provides more of a cushion support in the straps region.  All of Butler's projects recommend interfacing, so I think the technique she was trying to get across would've been more successful with that material.  Anyhow, You were supposed to attach the right sides of the handle pieces together, sewing entirely down one side, leaving the ends open, and then sewing down another side leaving 6" to pull the fabric through.  With a safety pin on one end you're supposed to be able to use the pin as a guide and get the whole strap turned right-side out seamlessly and press it neat.

...nope.

After quite a few failed attempts at coaxing the pin and thick wad of canvas through a 1" gap of space, I gave up, seam-ripped it apart and re-ironed to start over.  Alternatively, I put the right sides together, sewed down one end, then pressed the open, towards the center of the strap, and pressed that complete side, right-side out.  Then I folded and pressed a seam on the incomplete side, and then edge stitched it closed.  I then edge stitched the other side for continuity, and it looks as good as if you followed the directions and they turned out as they should.

From then on out the rest of the bag was a breeze to assemble!  Here's the finished product!
View - Overall

Detail - Body

Detail - Interior.  Notice pleating and hint of pocket!

 Other than sewing away and attending comedy shows with Austin, I'm adjusting to post-grad life well.  I keep panicking about finding a job and dealing with the stresses of living in the city.  I know it's not worth stressing over, because that's just how life is here in Boston, but I'm ready for a break from this hussle and bustle and playing sardines every morning during the commute.  Hopefully JMU sees me as an excellent candidate for the position so I can uproot, get resettled and dive into my desired career as a visual resources professional.

The Graduate Commencement Ceremony is this upcoming Friday (EEP!).  I can't believe it came up this fast! I'll be relieved once I have that piece of paper in my hand, justifying my authority as a librarian...of sorts :-P  I had lunch with some GSLIS girlfriends this past Friday, and it was so nice getting together and seeing everyone before we get our diplomas.  Half are dispersing to other regions of the US to pursue their studies further or for employment opportunities!  I'm going to miss them so much!  I've really developed a bond here in Boston and with everyone all the best!!! *sniffle*

Well I've rambled on for enough today!  I hope you all enjoyed another day in the life of me and the projects I'm delving in to!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment